If you’re like me, over the course of your life you’ll cycle between getting queasy at the thought of eating anything before 3 PM, and waking up so hungry you shun all life responsibilities (I mean you, office job) until you have eaten.
This recipe is for those of you in the latter camp.
Since I’m a sweet food hater, my go-to in the morning is a super-savory bagel that’s way too heavy on cream cheese and piled high with something like $17 worth of smoked salmon.
To give you a sense of “too heavy,” I have unabashedly piled on a solid three vertical inches of cream cheese on a bagel before.
Smoked salmon and fish in general, being a big diet staple in the Nordic region, tends to go best with the flavors that have been mingled in dishes together there, well, since forever. What’s the saying? What grows (and lives) together, goes together.
I think of the characteristic lemon, dill & red onion combo, pickled everything, seafood, eggs, gamey meats, shellfish and lots of dairy. All the best foods, all the time.
This is how much the Swedes like seafood: they sell fish roe from a tube. I, obviously, will end up buying this.
With this being a bagel and all, there’s not much cooking involved, but it doesn’t make the outcome any less delicious. Get yourself as good a quality of bagel as you can. Do rye bagels exist? If so, they’d be perfect here.
I N G R E D I E N T S
Makes 1 sandwich.
- 1 bagel, flavor of your choosing (I went for poppyseed, onion or a grainy whole wheat)
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 2 oz. high-quality Nordic pickled herring from a can OR smoked & peppered Norwegian salmon
- 4 oz. cream cheese (or double that amount, if you’d like 😉)
- 1 / 4 medium red onion, minced
- 1 / 4 lemon, squeezed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
O p t i o n a l
If you want to up the fishiness factor, spread a tablespoon of salmon roe on the bagel in addition to the other ingredients, before you press the two halves together.
D I R E C T I O N S
1. Cut the bagel in half. Toast, if desired, to your preference.
2. To make the cream cheese spread, combine the cream cheese, whole grain mustard, horseradish, dill and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3. Layer half of the cream cheese on both sides of the bagel. On one half, place the smoked salmon, then the minced red onion.
4. On the other half, place the pickled herring or the smoked & peppered Norwegian salmon, and top with a squeeze of lemon. Press sandwich together.