We’ve been opting to cook outside the kitchen and grill on the roof of my apartment complex – and much more lately with the end of summer calling.
Hot dogs have always been my go-to beloved grilling meat. To be specific, Oscar Meier Weiners. This is not a time to be health-conscious folks – it’s a time to enjoy yourself and savor that sulfite-packed meat product you know you want so badly.
Hot dogs are typically not too filling either, so you can fit lots of other grilled meats in your belly. And don’t forget all the best side dishes – my favorites are the classic potato salad, pasta salad and corn on the cob.
(For a spicy, delicious twist on potato salad, try Hankerings’ Spicy Dill Pickle Potato Salad.)
Chicago-style hot dogs throw a speared pickle on top, along with the other musts: sweet relish, white onion, tomatoes, celery salt and peppers.
Now I love the pickle spear concept – I really do. But it can be unwieldy and makes the bun a bit soggy. A slaw creates a much more approachable bite to get through. It’s also a refreshing, cold counterpoint to the grilled dog.
This slaw pulls together the mustard and pickle elements, and the dash of mayo brings yummy richness to the sauce. Horseradish adds some heat. The cabbage does its job adding a much-needed crunch factor. It’s also a super-cinch to make, and flexible depending on the flavors you’d like to amplify, or add.
One steadfast recommendation is to seek out half sour pickles, which can usually be found at your local deli or the refrigerated section of your grocery store. Their flavor is so underrated and incredibly delicious in this recipe.
If you’re a pickle fanatic like me, you’ll enjoy this topping more than you can imagine – and if you have extra, it’d be perfect to add to burgers. Or in my case, great for sneaking bites of on its own!
I N G R E D I E N T S
F o r t h e H o t D o g s
- 2 Oscar Meier Weiner hot dogs
- 2 hot dog buns (If you can find them, brioche hot dog buns are delicious)
F o r t h e H o r s e r a d i s h & H a l f – S o u r S l a w
- 1 large half-sour pickle, cut into one inch shreds
- 1 / 3 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 1 / 2 tablespoons Hellman’s mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- Fresh dill, for garnish
D I R E C T I O N S
- To make the slaw, combine all the slaw ingredients and set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until the mixture is chilled through.
- Turn on the grill, setting it to your preferred temperature.
- Slice shallow slits down the hot dogs to allow the more of the surface of hot dog to get crispy.
- Put the hot dogs on the grill, cooking until the casing is blistered and lightly blackened. Toast the buns as well, if preferred.
- Put the hot dogs in the buns, topping each hot dog with half the slaw. Garnish with fresh dill, if desired. Serve immediately.