Sautéed mushrooms are one of the fastest-to-prepare, most elegant side dishes out there. Throwing some truffle butter into the mix doesn’t hurt either.
But the best part – just add some autumnal herbs – sage, thyme – and your house will smell heavenly for hours. No air freshener required.
Luckily, most grocery stores and farmer’s markets carry a variety of mushrooms to experiment with. And they’re affordable too, unless you’re cooking with morels. I vaguely recall spending $23 on a 4 ounce package.
You can always go for white button mushrooms, if you’re in the presence of some picky eaters. But my most recent mushroom purchase led me to oyster mushrooms. I love the stacked appearance of the caps, and the folds are defined. Sautéed, they taste meaty. I like to the keep the stems on for added bite and substance, almost cooking them to an al dente consistency.
Whole Foods carried the traditional brown oyster mushrooms as well as some beautiful pink ones. It made for a gorgeous presentation in this recipe.
Serious Eats has an in-depth look at the most common varieties of culinary mushrooms – any type is good for sautéeing, but a mixture adds a lot of texture. And I had completely forgotten about Enokitate mushrooms – one of the most gorgeous fungi I’ve ever laid my eyes on.
So while sautéed mushrooms may never top a side of French fries, they come pretty damn close. And they’re healthy-ish, if that’s something you care about.
I guess you could French fry mushrooms though – that sounds pretty good too. 😉
I N G R E D I E N T S
Serves 2 as an appetizer.
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms, chopped in thick slices
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage, minced
- 2 tablespoons truffle butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
D I R E C T I O N S
- Heat the olive oil and truffle butter in a sauté pan on medium-low heat. Add the garlic, and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic begins to soften.
- Add the thyme, sage, salt and pepper, and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes until the mushrooms are browned but not caramelized.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately.